I chat to many clients over the course of my working day about skincare and I have realised that it is always a good idea to go over old ground and re-iterate the correct procedure and application for your skincare regime.
The established routine, when I first started practicing skincare was Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise however; the last few years have seen some tremendous advances in skincare technology, especially in the area of home skincare regimes.The old home-care regime has changed to incorporate theses technological advances and now consists:
- Hydrate and;
I have outlined each of the new procedures for you below:Cleanse, the ideal cleansers are products that gently exfoliate your skin daily, leaving it soft, smooth and radiant. Cleanser have now moved on a pace and can carry out the same job as toners. Originally toners were used to remove all remaining traces of oil, makeup and dirt from your skin but a good cleanser will do this. Toners are no longer necessary for cleansing you skin.
Correct. The second step in the 4 step skincare regime is the use of a corrector. A corrector is a lightweight cream that helps diminish visible signs of ageing and assists in making your skin work normally. This step also includes an eye cream which is a corrector especially designed for use on the delicate and fine skin in the region of your eye. I would never recommend the use of a normal correcter around your eye area as they usually contains a higher percentage of lactic which will over exfoliate this delicate area. A red line at the corner of your eye, can indicate over exfoliation, if you have this symptom you should get it checked out professionally.
- Application Apply 2-3 pumps of cleanser to wet hands. Lather and gently massage the product over your face and neck, leave it on for a few minutes then rinse off with water and pat your skin dry. Use once in the morning and twice at night, the first cleanse removes your make up and the daily working day grime and the second cleanse treats your skin.
- Application Apply 1-2 pumps of corrector to a properly cleansed face and neck, massage evenly into skin. (First time users: I always advise new users to use the corrector at night only for the first week then start to apply both morning and night from the 2nd week on-wards - your skin has to build up a tolerance to the corrector). Some products like the PRIORI Idebenone Complex requires new users to patch test for 48 hours before use. It is extremely important to make sure you apply an SPF 30, every morning to protect the work that the corrector is doing. I speak to so many clients online that have not been advised to apply an SPF 30 as the final step in the home-care regime.
- Eye Serums. Apply small amount of product to your ring finger, pat and blend thin layer evenly around orbital bone of eye . Do not apply to your eyelids. The reason you apply around the orbit bone and not inside is that cream rises to the heat of your eye and if you apply the product within the bone area then the product could get in your eyes. Use morning and night. I recommend that anyone over the age of 25 should use an eye cream, prevention is better than cure!
Hydrate. The third element is hydration, moisturisers are products that hydrate, strengthen and enhance your skins natural barrier function.
- Application Apply 1-2 pumps of moisturiser over your corrector and massage evenly into your skin. I always, as previously discussed, recommend using an SPF 30 over this daily. Use your moisturiser morning and night.
Protection. A skincare protector is one of the most important products in your skincare armoury. It is very important for you to protect your skin from the harsh elements of weather, sun, wind etc as they all break down the lipid barrier (the outer layer of your skin that keeps foreign materials out and keeps moisture in). If the lipid barrier is impaired your skin can become weak and sensitive, products applied to skin with a damaged lipid barrier, may penetrate too deeply causing burning and stinging and your skin becomes dehydrated. Red cheeks may be the result of the breakdown of the lipid barrier. PRIORI® SPF’s are some of the most advanced products on the market and are all Skin Cancer Federation recommended.
- Application Apply a pea size amount of skin protector every morning after your moisturiser. If it is going to be sunny then apply more generously prior to sun exposure. Re-apply as needed or after swimming, towel drying, perspiring heavily or washing.
The products that I sell at Thorntonhall Therapies can be mixed and matched depending on your skin type. If you are not too sure what is best for your skin all you have to do is phone ( 0141644 1594) or e-mail to contact me and I will be delighted to help.Next week I am going to explain what a number of the new skincare terms that we hear on a regular basis really mean. Until then, try out the new regimes.Warmest Regards
- Posted by Trisha Harvey
- 0 Comments