There are 5 main steps I tell my acne clients to follow when they first come along to me for treatment and whilst these steps are logical they are often not considered until we discuss them:
- Always use a Gentle Cleanser – A lot of cleansers are quite harsh and whilst they work effectively for normal skin types they are too aggressive for acne sufferers. I always suggest using PRIORI® Advanced AHA Gentle Facial Cleanser because it gently cleanses and exfoliates; it is non-aggressive, oil free and contains an anti-irritant complex. Clients always tell me that their skin feels clean and softer after using this product (you do not need to use an exfoliator with this routine, the cleanser does it for you).
- Use a Corrector – A corrector helps to reduce oiliness, minimise acne breakouts and clogged pores. A corrector can be used all over your face and neck (topically) or applied directly onto the problem breakouts. I usually suggest a combination of Vitage® and PRIORI® products (budget allowing), using the PRIORI® Advanced AHA Perfection Facial Gel overnight, after cleansing, and the Vitage® Correct and Perfect in the morning.
- Hydration – There is a myth that all acne sufferers need to hydrate their skin and use a separate moisturising process as part of their skincare routine. I have found that by using either or both of the suggested correctors, the cleanser and the protector enough skin hydration is provided by these combinations for 90% of the acne sufferers that I treat. However; if you suffer from really dry skin and acne, a moisturiser may be needed, please contact me for further advice. You can always add a moisturiser at a later date if you think you need it after you have tried this routine for a month or so
- Protection – A skin protector places a barrier between the products you have applied, helping them to help your skin, and the outside world. I prefer to use Vitage® Skin Defence SPF 30 as it also contains an anti-inflammatory agent as an extra bonus. However, if your budget is tight PRIORI® Advanced AHA Daily Defence SPF 30 offers a great alternative.
- Make-up – Use oil free foundation and concealers. Many of my clients believe that the coverage of oil based products is superior to mineral based products, which may or may not be true. I always tell my clients that “The addition of an oil based product applied to an already oily skin does nothing to help control their acne symptoms”. The CoffeeBerry® Perfecting minerals range with their concealing coverage, are ideal for skin conditions such as Acne, clinical results show a reduction in skin redness, dryness and an overall improvement in the appearance of your skin within 2 weeks.
Acne cannot be cured but it can be controlled. Most of my acne clients have, in the past, chopped and changed products, over exfoliated (you do not need to use an exfoliator with this routine, the cleanser does it for you), used oil based foundation, and concealers. If you take anything away from this blog, please use oil free products!If you would like to find out more about the products I have suggested above you can e-mail me or just give me a ring, you can even contact me on Skype! The products that I use work very well for my clients and help control their acne symptoms to the point that it is no longer is a big issue in their life or have to hide their complexion behind layers of make-up.
Image courtesy of Simon Howden / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- Posted by Trisha Harvey
- 0 Comments