Last Sunday’s weather was spectacular and we took the opportunity to visit Mount Stuart House on the Isle of Bute. There was hardly a breathe of wind and the ferry trip over allowed us great views of Bute, a beautiful, heather clad, purple island set on calm blue sea.
Mount Stuart house is some 5 miles from the ferry landing in Rothesay and the short journey to the estate runs alongside sandstone beaches with wonderful clear water full of sea birds and the occasional seal.
Our plan for the day was to visit the house; my husband had been to Mount Stuart twice before but never managed to visit the house, third time lucky then! The trees in their autumn colours were fantastic and the sky was clear blue, one of those wonderful days when the colours are brilliant and the sunlight seems to bathe everything in a warm, enveloping, glow.
We booked our tour of the house and were lucky enough to be in a small party of four. The house is fantastic and the tour very informative, we even got to see the “Marquess of Bute’s” bidet!
Mount Stuart was one of the first residences in Scotland to have electric lighting and central heating, the rooms are heated by huge hot air grilles, with the hot air being delivered by ducting from a huge furnace in the bowels of the building. As the guide was passing on this information I was wondering what my next blog should cover (nothing like being fully tuned in to the information source) and realised that my subject was staring me in the face, so to speak, central heating and its impact on our skin.
The changes in humidity, the dryness caused by central heating and the extra time we spend indoors all mean that our skin can get chapped and dehydrated so moisture retention, skin nourishment and exfoliation are the key considerations for keeping our skin in shape for Autumn and Winter.
To protect our skin from the extremes of the weather and our central heating, you may want to consider adding the following products into your normal skincare routine:
- PRIORI® Invigorating Face and Body Scrub – Gentle exfoliation and creating a clean surface allowing other products to penetrate deeper into your skin layers.
- Vitage® Hydrating Mask – This product can be used 2 to 3 times a week and gives your skin a great hydration boost.
- PRIORI® Replenishing Masque – This can be used instead of the Vitage® product above, it should only be applied once a week as it a salon strength product (designed for home use).
- Any of the PRIORI® or Vitage® Protectors (which you should already have in your routine) will provide the ideal skin nourishment and ensure your skin is protected from the drying effects of the wind.
- Finally, lets not forget to protect our lips, we have all been victims of chapped lips and it is so easy to keep a lip balm in your handbag for immediate relief and ongoing, daily, protection. I swear by Bare Escentuals Lip Balm. It hydrates, conditions and protects lips, I have been using and selling it for years and it is a favourite amongst my skincare clients.
If you are unsure of any the skincare steps or want further information on any of the PRIORI® or Vitage® skincare products, suitable for your skin type, please do not hesitate to contact me using the free skincare assessment link in the left hand sidebar or give me a ring on 01414336805 or even Skype me.
- Posted by Trisha Harvey
- 0 Comments